The history of the origin of the breed, a description of the appearance of a Balinese cat, the nature of balinesis, health, basic rules for the care and maintenance of a pet at home, the price of a kitten. The Balinese cat is a properly balanced combination of beauty, intelligence and demeanor. Dreaming of a smart and pretty kitten - you should look for balinese. These purrs can be very different, from a cheerful and eccentric cat to a sweet, understanding and sympathetic friend. This animal never gets bored, always knows and knows how to surprise everyone who meets him.
The history of the emergence of cats of the Balinese breed
The Balinese cat is the owner of not only a bright, memorable appearance, but also an equally fascinating history of appearance on our big planet. Around this, already well-known feline person, there are many different stories soaring, which one to believe is a purely personal matter, but there are two versions of the origin of the Balineses, which are considered the most reliable.
According to the first option, that some unknown cat breeder purposefully crossed two individuals of the Angora and Siamese breeds, the result was an unusual, fluffy, whose name was given - balinese. The second version has already been supported by more accurate arguments and even the names of felinologists. As many know, Siamese cats have long been considered a kind of elite among the feline world and they were kept by many breeders. But prestigious purebred cats also had some natural mutations, as a result of which unusual Siamese with a length of fur were born.
Nursery owners and even professional felinologists considered the Siamese long-haired gene to be a serious defect in the breed. Such kittens were handed out to those who wished simply for nothing, just to get rid of them. But rather, everything turned upside down, when in about the 40s of the last century an American cat breeder Marion Dorset came to one of the catteries where a Siamese kitten with a long "fur coat" was walking. The woman could not understand in any way for what such "merits" these cute fluffy lumps are called "defective". The American decided to seek justice and at any cost to make of these "failed" Siamese a full-fledged separate breed.
It can be assumed that the breeding program for this new variety was conventionally already started, but Marion Dorset needed fluffy individuals, since she used them for crosses. Some time later, another eminent cat lover and part-time professional felinologist Helen Smith joined the American team. Rumor has it that this woman believed in all sorts of mystical and mysterious stories and it was she who named the new, original cats with a very extraordinary name - Balinese or Balinese. The idea of the name came to Helen Smith when she drew attention to the purr's gait, it seemed to her that the animal's gait was so graceful and graceful that it even somewhat resembles the movements of dancers from the island of Bali.
When in the early 70s the Balinese cat was first presented in the big world, the public really liked this animal, but the members of the commissions and the organizers of the exhibition were seriously wary. The reason for this stress was that everyone feared that in the past, the "not quite full-fledged" Siamese would have ousted real purebred Siamese cats from the championship. But the fears were completely in vain, since Balinese quite worthily became a number of thoroughbred representatives of the feline world, not charging for someone's glory, they are quite satisfied with their own. After a short period of time, the Balinese received many approvals from most of the American feline associations.
Balinese cat: description of the standard, photo of the breed
- Torso Balinese cats are not particularly large in size, but at the same time it is impossible not to notice how strong, stocky and muscular it is. The body of the balinese, although small, visually seems very long, the body is the same in width from the neck to the hips. The average body weight of graceful Balinese purrs ranges from 2, 5 to 5, 5 kg, cats are less than representatives of the stronger sex by about 1 kg. Some advantage of these fluffies is that no matter how his owner tries to fatten the pet, and the cat will still be "thin and sonorous", it seems that their graceful figure is preserved somewhere at the genetic level.
- Limbs Balinese cats are thin, long, but also no less strong and resilient. The forelimbs are always slightly shorter than the hind ones, due to this, the projection of the thighs is slightly raised above the general level of the animal's body. Balinese feet are shaped like an oval, with small soft pads and somewhat long toes.
- Tail process these wonderful pets have long and thin, well pubescent. According to the official breed standard, the tail of a Balinese cat must be even throughout the entire length, without a single flaw or break, the presence of the latter is a disqualification of an animal from a number of representatives of the show class.
- Head the balinese is wedge-shaped in shape, the muzzle is narrow. In relation to the overall dimensions of the body, it can be said that the dimensions of the Balinese head are very small. The forehead is not too wide, flat, the cheekbones are very huge, against the background of the general size of the muzzle, the nose is wide and slightly elongated, the jaw is strong, well visualized, the chin is sharp.
- Auricles Balinese cats are often compared to locators and yet there is something in it. Indeed, the ears of a representative of this breed are simply huge, at least in relation to the size of the skull. The outlines of the cat's ears resemble a triangle, which is a continuation of the contour of the muzzle. The auditory organs of the animal are widely spaced.
- Eyes graceful cats have an aristocratic almond-shaped shape, and a specific slanting gives the look of a Balinese cat, some kind of wisdom and shrillness unusual for an animal. The eyes of this cat are located at an impressive distance from each other. In some individuals, strabismus may be observed, even to an insignificant extent, this pathology is considered a non-compliance with the breed standard. Balinese iris color can only be blue or bluish, only partial variability of shades and tints is allowed.
- Wool Balinese cats are quite long, but due to the fact that there is absolutely no additional undercoat on the body of these animals, the fur coat covers the body of the cat extremely tightly, so visually the hairs do not seem too long, but in fact they are not. The texture of the hair of the Balinese cats, although very dense, is very delicate and pleasant to the touch. As for the color of the representatives of this breed, the standard allows for a variety of shades. The main variant of the color of the Balinese beauties is point, a monochromatic variation of the color is also allowed. The most prestigious are cats with point color in chocolate, lilac and bluish colors. A priori, there cannot be purebred thoroughbred Balineese, whose fur coat is painted in red and coal-black colors.
Balinese cat: personality traits and behavior
According to many scientific sources and observations of cat breeders, it is believed that it is Balinese cats that are the owners of the most developed intelligence and ingenuity among all the long-haired representatives of the feline world. Therefore, when bringing such a clever pet into the house, you should prepare yourself in advance for the fact that your “lodger” can easily solve his internal logical problems. Often these include traveling to or under the closet, to the refrigerator or to the height of the hanger, where it is vital for him to get to some object.
In connection with such resourcefulness and activity of the cat, in order to protect your home, you should put valuable things in safe places, tightly close the doors of cabinets and nightstands, and most importantly, do something to keep your pet busy so that he does not have the time and desire to invent entertain yourself on your own. These animals are very active and playful, the Balinese cat can easily run for a plastic bag or a wad of paper, and if you give her more serious cat toys, believe me, there will be no limit to joy.
Balinese by nature are extremely good-natured and quickly become attached to people, they always need to be paid attention. In the event that your pet is following you in the truest sense of the word, it means that he does not have enough attention. Try to play with him for at least 30 minutes every day, and you will be convinced that there will be no trace of the former importunity.
As for relationships with young children, we can say that Balinese consider children to be their best friends, especially if the child lures the cat to active and noisy fun. But the Balinese cat will not allow itself to carry and squeeze in its arms, in this case it can go on the attack using its claws. So it is better to explain to the child in advance what can be done with the animal, and what is strictly prohibited.
Balinese also find common language no less quickly with other animals, as the experience of many owners shows, they are more comfortable living under the same roof with dogs than with other cats.
Balinese cat health and life expectancy
Balinese belong to a number of rarely ill pets, however, they cannot be called completely strong and invulnerable, with all the desire. Representatives of this breed are primarily susceptible to problems that all animals on the planet can face. Firstly, these are parasites, which can be both external and internal. As for the former, if the Balinese cat lives exclusively in a closed environment, without sticking its nose out into the street and without contacting other animals, it can be called partially insured against fleas, ticks and other "wickedness". But with regard to helminths, for example, it is a mistake to believe that proper nutrition and home conditions somehow protect your pet.
Not at all, do not forget that there are several types of a wide variety of internal parasites in the world, and about 40% of which you can bring your Balinese on the soles of shoes and other outdoor items. In this regard, never neglect preventive courses of anthelmintic therapy. Some owners believe that if their pet eats well, sleeps and plays a lot, then he is completely healthy. It is good if so, but it should be borne in mind that not all worms immediately make themselves felt, it also happens that the infection does not manifest itself in any way for even several years, and then sudden internal bleeding or intestinal obstruction, as a consequence of helminthic invasion. In such cases, only surgical treatment is indicated, and this is if you managed to seek medical help in time.
There are also a number of pathological conditions to which Balinese cats have a clear tendency. These include amyloidosis of the kidneys and liver, dilated cardiomyopathy, joint diseases, bronchial asthma, and even diabetes mellitus. In addition, a very weak point in balineses is their oral cavity, with improper care, these cute purrs very often suffer from inflammatory diseases of the soft tissues of the mouth, as well as from the formation of tartar. As for the latter diseases, it is better and much more effective to prevent them than to cure them later. Proper nutrition and regular oral hygiene will guarantee you a good result.
With good care, vaccinations according to the vaccination schedule and regular visits to the veterinarian, Balinese will accompany you through life for at least 15-20 years.
Balinese cat: pet care at home
- Hair care. The first reason people are afraid of owning long-haired cats is their fur coat, which is extremely difficult to care for. This is not the case for Balinese cats, due to the fact that these cats do not have an undercoat, their hairs do not form tangles, so during the normal period it will be enough to comb the pet with a soft brush once or twice a week. But during the molting period, it is better to do it daily, and if possible, several times a day. Since, firstly, the molting of Balinese cats is very noticeable on all surfaces of your home without exception, and, secondly, the animal can easily swallow its rather dense hair, which is fraught with serious problems from the digestive tract. In order to prevent the formation of a hairball in your pet's stomach, it is recommended to periodically feed Balinese with specialized food for removing wool or paste, and it is also a good idea to plant grass for cats. Such a plant will look beautiful on your windowsill, and your companion will happily feast on it. By nature, cats from Bali are very neat and tidy animals, so they rarely get dirty and wash their fur on their own. But this does not mean that bathing is not required at all - it is necessary, just not so often. The optimal frequency of taking a shower for a balinese living at home is once a quarter. If your pet often walks down the street, especially in "bad weather", then you need to wash it as needed. As a cleansing agent, it is best to give preference to a quality shampoo designed for combination skin. The air conditioner should also not be neglected, using it, you will give your tailed friend's fur coat an even more well-groomed and excellent appearance.
- Hygiene for Balinese it is not just an aesthetic procedure, it is a kind of key to a comfortable and healthy life. Therefore, the owner of a representative of this breed should clean his ears and eyes weekly. It is important to use a separate ear stick for each ear, and an individual cotton pad for each eye. As for the teeth, it is best to brush them every day, if not, then as often as possible. It is good to combine the procedure of mechanical teeth cleaning with a special food designed for this. Such healthy food is on sale in any pet store, the packaging always has the inscription "DENTAL". Recent studies have shown that ROYAL CANIN tooth cleaning food has shown the best results.
- Claws. In order for your pet to not have to do a manicure forcibly, he should buy a scratching post. Due to its intellectual abilities, the animal quickly understands what it is and what it is eaten with, so your apartment is safe.
- Nutrition. Balinese cats are quite unpretentious in food, but it is still recommended to feed them with ready-made premium food, since in such food all nutrients and vitamins are selected in optimal quantities. If we talk about homemade food, then some breeders advise preparing porridge with vegetables for such a cat, adding minced meat or minced by-products to it. Additional vitamin and mineral complexes will not be superfluous.
Balinese kitten price
The average price of a Balinese kitten is 15,000 rubles, a Balinese cat cattery can be found in Moscow.