The history of the origin of the breed, the standard of appearance of the Manx cat, features of the character of the animal and its health, care and maintenance of the pet at home, the price of a kitten. Manx (English Manx cat) or, as it is still customary to call these purrs, the Manx tailless cat is an animal that mother nature, although she cheated a little, without awarding him with a long and fluffy organ of balance (tail), but these representatives of the feline world got many others even more positive qualities. Inexhaustible good nature, some, it seems, unearthly charisma, friendliness, the ability to be a good friend and not capriciousness in leaving.
The history of the appearance of cats of the Manx breed
There are many legends and stories about the origin of representatives of this species of cats, for which there is no confirmation or refutation, and the whole reason is that Manx cat appeared quite a long time ago, but no one knows exactly when. The first mentions of amazing cats that can be found in some documents and even books date back to the middle of the 18th century. It is only known for certain that these tailless pussies appeared on the territory of the Isle of Man, which is located near Great Britain and is washed by the Irish Sea. And of course, it is not difficult to guess that these animals received their name in honor of their homeland, which is not large in size.
In their native lands, these representatives of the feline world enjoyed particular popularity and demand among the aboriginal population. First, Menck cats were the most effective rodent-control agent in people's homes and agricultural holdings. And, secondly, the inhabitants of the island borrowed from the Japanese the belief that the tails of felines accumulate negative energy and all disasters in general, therefore it was these tailless seals from the Isle of Man that became a kind of talisman of happiness, good luck and wealth of local residents.
People respected these animals very much and were proud of their local heritage, and as soon as it became known that a large exhibition of the most elite representatives of the cat world was planned, Manks was immediately sent there. All this took place in the second half of the century before last. At this exhibition, the tailless cat was a success, and then the local people, without hesitation, made Manx cat the symbol of the island. Since then, the image of their aboriginal cat has adorned not only the national coat of arms of the island, but in 1970 the issue of coins with a denomination of one crown with a portrait of a local pet started.
This breed of cats is closely associated with a felinologist named Charles Henry Lane, who at the beginning of the 20th century took up the professional breeding of unique animals and introducing them to the world. It was this man who made the standard for the appearance of Mank tailless cats, which is valid to this day and it is thanks to him that the representatives of this breed began to appreciate and admire them far beyond the borders of Great Britain. In the shortest possible time, these pets began to be bought up, both in Europe and Asia, and in the lands of South and North America.
According to many scientific sources, the gene for "taillessness", which is passed on to Manx from generation to generation, is dominant, but in no case should two carriers of this gene be crossed, since kittens born as a result of such experiments die in the first hours of life.
So that scientists do not prove, local residents have all their arguments. So there is a legend among the people that one of the first representatives of this breed was the last in line for Noah's rescue ark and everyone was in such a hurry that in the bustle they accidentally pinched the cat's tail and after that it stopped growing. It is also rumored that among the population of the Isle of Man it was customary to step on cats' tails, so a person can attract good luck and material well-being, therefore, having deprived animals of the tail process, nature took pity on the poor creatures. Another version, which is far from the last, tells that the progenitor of thoroughbred seals escaped so selflessly from the sinking ship of the Spanish fleet that he caught his tail and tore it off.
The official standard for the appearance of cats of the Manx breed, photo
- Head Manx tailless cat resembles a circle in configuration, but if you look closely, you will notice that it is quite wide and dimensional. The forehead is wide, cheekbones and a powerful, wide chin stand out very well on the face of the animal. All the lines that make up the Manx's face are soft and smooth, even the transition of the nose to the forehead is not separated in any way, the nose is medium in size.
- Eyes Manx cat. They can even be called "eyes" - large, located at a slight angle, which gives them a characteristic slanting. The absence of the latter trait in the cat will disqualify it from the number of pedigree. Any color of the iris of the eyes in tailless cats is allowed, the main thing is that the color of the eyes is in harmony with the main tone of the color.
- Auricles the Manx tailless cat cannot be called large, but they are rather wide, slightly tapering from the base to the tip, which is slightly rounded. One of the signs of thoroughbredness is the fact that if you look at the animal from behind, then the head with ears should resemble a saddle.
- Neck manxa, though short, but strong and muscular.
- Torso Isle of Man cats are average in size, with slightly retracted sides. All lines on the body of the animal should be smooth and rounded. Despite the fact that these seals are small, their bodies should be strong, stocky and dense. The cat's thigh area is always much larger than the projection of the shoulder girdle. The ribcage is strong and broad. The average body weight of an adult pet varies from 3.5 to 6 kg, and the fair sex is always more refined and less weighty.
- Limbs The Manx cat is short, but muscular and firm.
- Wool, wrapping the body of the Manx tailless cat can be either long or short, as long as it is soft and fluffy. The coat is close to the body, its location is very dense, the undercoat is present, the hairs that form it are thinner and more delicate. As for the color of the coat, almost any color is allowed, with the exception of brown, lilac and Siamese color options.
The tail process is, perhaps, a separate topic, it is this part of the body, or rather what is left of it, which glorified cats from the Isle of Man all over the world. This is not to say that they are completely devoid of a tail, however, what they have in their usual place is extremely difficult to call such. There are four variants of the tail processes that are found in representatives of this species:
- Dimple rumpy or rumpy - this category implies the complete absence of tail vertebrae;
- Riser or rumpy riser - these seals have one or at best two cartilages in place of their tail, but they are invisible under the "fur coat";
- Stumpy - in general, the tail is there and can be seen, but it is formed from only 2-3 vertebrae, which in turn are twisted and broken;
- Tailed or longy, representatives of the Manx of this "tail" category have an organ of balance and it is the same in length as in ordinary cats, but in shape it is abnormally twisted and curved.
Features of the temperament of cats of the Manx breed
Cats of this variety are an excellent pet option for large families with children. Despite the fact that during the time of living in open nature, these animals were engaged in hunting, they do not have aggression. They humbly and patiently play with the children.
Such a pet very quickly adapts to new living conditions and in the shortest possible time gains the status of "everyone's pet". These cats are very loyal and love your attention, however, be prepared for the fact that on the first day the animal will choose one of the family for itself and will clearly distinguish it. Although all other family members will not be left without the attention of "his feline majesty", this tailless companion will follow you on your heels and never miss the opportunity to climb into your arms, the cat really likes it when it is stroked or scratched behind the ear.
Manx tailless cats move around the house very interestingly, due to the fact that their back is very massive, they often jump like rabbits, because of the same anatomical feature they are excellent "jumpers". So do not be surprised when your pet will conquer the height of the refrigerator in one jump.
Manx cats are very curious and active, they need toys and entertainment, so it will be good to provide the pet with the opportunity to play without damaging your home. Toys with winding mechanisms, all kinds of balls and balls and even some attributes for climbing, all this will cause joy and delight in Manx.
As for other animals in the house, if it is a cat or a dog, then you should not worry, birds and rodents are another matter - this will be more complicated. Indeed, in the soul of these cute and benevolent purrs lives a fierce hunter, who is not equal to the hour, will make itself felt and this can turn out extremely sadly for a smaller and weaker animal.
Manx tailless cat health
The gene for "taillessness" gave these animals not only world fame and recognition, but also a number of health problems. The fact is that these animals are never sold at the age of less than four months, since health problems are visible only over time. So, cats from the Isle of Man have a high tendency to pathologies of the musculoskeletal system and they may have spina bifida, their uneven growth and development, which leads to rapid disability and death of the pet.
In addition, the Manx cat has recorded cases of pathologies of the large intestine, for example, congenital intestinal obstruction, provoked by an abnormal anatomical structure.
With the exception of these diseases, the Manx tailless cat is not immune from a number of other, already acquired ailments. These pets also need to be vaccinated in a timely manner, taken for periodic examinations by a veterinarian, who can competently prescribe preventive or therapeutic courses of vitamins and minerals, as well as anthelmintic therapy in the right doses and drugs suitable for your friend.
It is also worth remembering that Manx's tail, or whatever is in its place, is very sensitive to mechanical damage. Therefore, it is necessary to carefully monitor, especially when the animal is in the company of children, so that someone does not accidentally pull it or hit it in its "weak" place. Otherwise, the cat will experience not only discomfort, but also extremely intense painful sensations.
With proper care, this representative of the feline world will delight you for 10 to 15 years.
Manx care at home
The maintenance of such a pet as Manx cat is not just troublesome, but even pleasant, he will not demand anything and be capricious, all he needs is your attention and love, well, some more food.
- Wool. Mainx cats are not among those who shed heavily, so you do not need to comb them every day. It will be quite enough to do this once a week, and during the molting period, increase it up to three times a week. This will keep your home clean and protect your tailless pet from unwanted gastrointestinal problems. You need to bathe the Manx tailless cat either as needed, if she is carried away by a walk down the street in bad weather. Well, if your pet lives exclusively in an apartment, then it is allowed to take a bath once a quarter. This will be quite enough for the Manks' coat to always look neat and well-groomed. As for the choice of shampoo, it is best to buy a product for dry or combination skin, do not neglect the conditioner, it will give your friend's charming coat extra shine and grace.
- Hygiene Manx cat consists of three parts that are equally important. Eye care consists in weekly wiping the kitten's eye with cotton pads, previously soaked in a decoction of herbs, a weak solution of potassium permanganate or in tea leaves without sugar. The auricles also need to be cleaned from accumulations of earwax, dead skin particles and dust from the external environment. It is recommended to do this with the help of children's cotton swabs and a specialized substance that is sold in veterinary pharmacies, it is believed that it softens sulfur well and does not irritate the skin of the animal and allergic reactions. It is also extremely important to take care of the cat's teeth and the oral cavity as a whole. To do this, do not forget to brush the teeth of the Mainx tailless cat with a small, soft-textured toothbrush and special tooth powder. Of course, it is better to do this every day, but if this is not possible, then carry out this procedure at least three times a week. In the event that your pet is already very resistant to the toothbrush, you can easily wrap a piece of bandage or thick cloth around your finger and brush his teeth this way, at the same time rubbing the soft tissues of the oral cavity.
- Claws. Taking care of this sturdy and fast-growing Isle of Man cat weapon is important not only for the animal itself, but for you in particular. It is recommended to purchase a scratching post, while it is better to do this in parallel with the purchase of the pet itself. From early childhood, it is much easier to teach your cat to use it for grinding claws, and not upholstery of your furniture or wallpaper. Today, pet stores provide an abundance of such devices. You can buy such a structure, which includes a scratching post, a house for a cat, and a place that the fluffy will use as a viewing platform. Since it is located a little at a height, and toys are also attached there that attract the attention of the animal. If your tailless manx does not notice this piece of furniture at close range, you can drip a few milligrams of valerian onto the surface to scratch the scratching post.
- Diet. In order for your Mainx tailless cat to be healthy and full of strength and energy, it must be fed with such “dishes”, which must contain all the necessary substances, vitamins and minerals in the required quantities. In ready-made industrial feeds, usually all nutrients are selected in the correct and necessary proportions for the animal. Therefore, if you do not want to cook for the pet separately, you can feed the cat with food from the pet store, however, preference should be given to premium or super-premium food. If you have made the decision to feed your Manx cat homemade food, you should take into account the fact that the food from your table is not suitable for the Manx. The list of products useful for these animals should include the following: low-fat meats (chicken, beef, turkey or rabbit), offal (lungs, liver), cereals (buckwheat, barley, wheat, corn), exclusively sea fish, dairy products, chicken and quail eggs, vegetables. Milk and river fish are not recommended to be entered in the cat's menu.
Purchase and price of a Manx kitten
Unfortunately, on the territory of our country and the CIS countries there is not a single cattery of this type of feline, but you can buy a Manx kitten abroad. The starting cost of this furry is 25,000-30,000 rubles, show-class kittens, of course, will cost you several times more.