Find out the criteria by which boxers select paws and learn the tactics of training paws at home. Any fighter will confirm that paws are the most important attribute of training in martial arts. It is not just a sports equipment, but an excellent assistant in the development of skills such as hitting accuracy, endurance, reaction and coordination of movements. Professional fighters are sure that it is simply impossible to move to a qualitatively new level of training without using paws during training.
Regular exercises with this sports equipment will help you learn how to correctly distribute muscle efforts. It is the paws that are the best way to simulate a real fight, as opposed to a bag or a pear. Today we will tell you how to choose and train at home with boxing paws.
How to choose boxing paws - the main criteria
Let's start our conversation with the first part of the question, how to choose and train at home on boxing legs? You must remember that this sports equipment can be classified according to three types:
- Direct - these are classic paws that allow you to work out high-quality punches not only with your hands, but also with your legs. Thanks to the rigid insert, you can perfectly work out a direct hit with this projectile.
- Bent - primarily intended for practicing the speed and accuracy of the blow. Their design has one feature, namely rigid polyurethane inlays. To avoid injury to your hands, it is worth exercising with gloves.
- Universal - outwardly similar to the two previous types, but have a reinforced cushion, as well as a target.
When talking about how to choose and train at home on boxing paws, one cannot but recall the presence of two types of projectiles in accordance with the shape:
- Round short - easier to hit the target, which makes them attractive in the eyes of novice fighters.
- Oblong - suitable for experienced athletes, as they allow you to effectively practice the accuracy of strikes.
Let's note the main mistakes that athletes make when choosing boxing paws:
- Choosing the wrong size is the most common mistake in which training comfort is severely degraded.
- Feet should be as comfortable and strong as possible. They should not make you feel pain during exercise.
- You shouldn't concentrate solely on working with the paws, because there are other types of effective training.
- Pay attention when choosing an equipment for bindings to avoid injuries to the hands of the partner or the trainer holding the paws.
- The most affordable are shells made of polyvinyl chloride.
- A material such as tarpaulin can provide maximum wear resistance.
- Last but not least, when choosing, it is necessary to pay attention to the color and design of the paws.
Benefits of training at home with boxing paws
We said at the beginning of the article that this is one of the best training equipment for training a fighter. We have already answered the first part of the question of how to choose and train at home on boxing paws, it's time to move on to the second. Let's start with the benefits that you will get from work on the feet:
- All beat parameters are improved, for example, accuracy, technique, rhythm, etc.
- The skill of attack increases, as you can work out all kinds of combinations and approaches with high quality.
- Defensive skills are improved.
- Mastering the technique of movement in the ring, which may be a decisive factor necessary to win the fight.
It will also be interesting for novice fighters to learn about the advantages of working with paws over other training methods:
- They allow you to work out high-quality clear fighting movements.
- It becomes possible to simultaneously practice the skills of attack and defense.
- They contribute to the mastery of the technique of movement around the ring, as if there is a real enemy in front of you.
- While working with the paws, the trainer can quickly point out mistakes you have made.
- There is an opportunity to practice different fighting styles.
- Provide ample opportunities for practicing all kinds of tricks, which then, in a real fight, will help you put your opponent in a difficult position.
- Training with paws is characterized by high passion.
If the paws are held by an experienced person, then your workout will definitely be as fun and reckless as possible. You can come up with various exercises right during the training, further bringing the lesson closer to a real fight. This sports equipment allows you to correctly regulate the intensity of your workout. Sacking is a lot different from leg work, and you will quickly find that out.
Theory of training on boxing paws
Professional fighters highlight three main advantages of working with this training equipment:
- Natural fighting reflexes develop rapidly.
- At the same time, the skills to attack and defend are being honed.
- The sense of rhythm is improved, as well as the synchronization and accuracy of the fighter's movements.
In our opinion, only regular work with the paws will allow you to quickly develop fighting reflexes, apart from sparring. For the classes to be as effective as possible, it is important to understand which skills should be practiced first. Many novice fighters focus on punching power. This is one of the biggest mistakes and many old-school boxing coaches believe that this is a waste of time.
If you misplace the emphasis in your workouts, you not only slow down your progress, but you can also acquire some harmful skills. Most experienced trainers believe that these sessions should be done with the aim of improving reflexes. The first step is to learn how to strike with a rhythm that allows you to be in complete control of yourself. This is due to the fact that you should not only attack, but also defend.
If, while working with a bag, you just hit it and do not think about protection, then training with paws is a completely different matter. With a competent approach to organizing the training process, you can improve your protective reflexes. Now we are not talking about memorized movements in defense, but exclusively natural skills and reflexes. Simply put, the coach periodically strikes back and you need to defend against them.
Rhythm, coordination of movements and accuracy are equally important for a fighter. To win in the ring, you do not need to constantly practice your signature blow. It is much more important to learn how to predict the opponent's steps, move rhythmically around the ring, attack and avoid punches. It is sometimes helpful to hit hard on the paws, but this should not be the only goal for you.
How to work with boxing paws correctly?
Continuing the conversation on the topic of how to choose and train at home on boxing paws, you should give several recommendations on how to competently practice basic fighting skills.
It is imperative during your workout to make sure that your punches are delivered rhythmically. In this case, the movements should be relaxed, because you are not participating in the race. The easiest way to judge rhythm is by your breathing and endurance. If you are very tense and start to choke, then the emphasis was probably on the strength of the punches, not the rhythm. You must remember that when you use your coordination ability, the strikes automatically become more powerful.
No one will argue that this skill is one of the most important for any fighter. If you don't try to strike with all your might, you can keep your movement in check. As a result, attacks will become more accurate. Try to aim well and actively practice your striking technique. Watch your joints, which should be in a comfortable position to provide extra support for your hand.
We have already noted more than once today that this indicator is not decisive when working with paws. That is why it is at the bottom of the list, and you should understand that the first two skills are more preferable. In a real fight, an athlete with high coordination of movements is capable of delivering accurate and strong blows.
How to train at home with paws - ways
To develop strength
Today, many fighters do just such exercises with the paws. They deliver strong blows and do not practice defense skills at all. Outwardly, such training may look extremely effective, but from the point of view of the development of a fighter, the benefit from them is minimal. The only advantage of such exercises can be considered an increase in the vigor of an athlete.
Practicing defense and defense skills
During the lesson, the blows of the fighter and the retaliatory attacks of the coach alternate. There are many combinations that allow you to simultaneously work out two skills at once. You must remember that defense exercises do not work out according to a predetermined plan. They need to be spontaneous for your natural reflexes to work. The coach can name a certain combination, after which he strikes himself. As a result, you can test the fighter's reflexes and his ability to evade opponent's attacks.
Developing a sense of rhythm
Here I would like to draw your attention to Mayweather's work, you can easily find the video clip on the net. The technique of the exercise was not created by this famous fighter, and not everyone considers the exercise to be effective. Someone sees in him only light pats, with a technique of inclinations and strikes that is low enough for a boxer of this level.
However, such people are most likely theorists and have never been boxing themselves. The main purpose of this exercise is not to practice the technique of inclinations and even more strikes, but in the ability to teach a fighter to make quick decisions. Along with an increase in your sense of rhythm, your coordination of movements will also improve.
With the paws, you can quickly learn new techniques and techniques. The coach creates various situations that often arise during a real fight. There are a lot of opportunities here and it is difficult to list them all. For example, a trainer can imitate left-handed work.
Exercises with styles
With the help of boxing paws, the fighter can adapt to different situations and styles of fighting the opponent. First, you can practice special shots, say, a right hook. After that, you can move on to mastering methods of protection, for example, from the left oncoming. Again, you have tons of options and this makes paw training a unique tool for training an athlete.
The coach asks his ward certain combinations that he must perform. This will improve the technique, because the coach has the opportunity to immediately pay attention to the mistakes made. You probably already realized how varied and effective training with the paws can be.
How to train on Mayweather style boxing paws, see the video below: