Nutritional value and composition of Frillice. What is the use of plant foods, can they do harm? How greens are eaten, recipes with frillis salad.
Frillice salad is one of the varieties of lettuce, developed by American breeders in the 1920s. And if the cultivation of the plant was carried out in the subtropical zone, then today appetizing greens are grown in greenhouse conditions in almost all corners of the earth. The lettuce leaves are short and wavy. Most often, you can buy frillis in pots, since the plant is very delicate and quickly fades without additional nutrition. The greens are known for their intense flavor and incredible crunch. Thanks to these two qualities, frillis is a popular ingredient in vitamin cocktails and fresh vegetable salads.
The composition and calorie content of Frillis salad
In the photo, frillis salad
It is difficult to imagine apologists for a healthy lifestyle without a daily portion of green salad. Fortunately, various varieties of nutritious greens can be easily found in large supermarkets. The modern market is saturated with various varieties of salads, and therefore, in order to understand their nutritional value, you need to be careful in your choice. For example, Frillis and Iceberg salads are of the same type, but their taste and nutritional value differ.
The calorie content of frillis is 14 kcal per 100 g of product (58.5 kJ), which is slightly higher than that of its “cold” counterpart (the calorie content of Iceberg is 13.9 kcal per 100 g), BJU and the amount of nutrients in plants also differ.
The nutritional value of Frillis salad, the seeds of which sprout quite easily, is as follows:
- Proteins - 1.5 g;
- Fat - 0.5 g;
- Carbohydrates - 2, 2 g.
The product is also rich in vitamins and minerals. However, the quantitative composition of nutrients will depend on several indicators, including the acidity of the soil, the amount of sun, feeding the plant with additional fertilizers.
Vitamins per 100 g of product grown in greenhouse conditions:
- Vitamin A - 292 mcg;
- Beta-carotene - 1.75 mg;
- Thiamin (B1) - 0.08 mg;
- Riboflavin (B2) - 0.03 mg;
- Choline (B4) - 13.4 mg;
- Pantothenic acid (B5) - 0.1 mg;
- Pyridoxine (B6) - 0.18 mg;
- Folate (B9) - 49 mcg;
- Ascorbic acid (C) - 15 mg;
- Alpha tocopherol (E) - 0.7 mg;
- Biotin (H) - 0.7 mcg;
- Phylloquinone (K) - 173.6 mcg;
- Vitamin PP - 0.9 mg.
The reserves of micro- and macroelements in the plant are no less rich, per 100 g:
- Potassium - 220 mg;
- Calcium - 77 mg;
- Magnesium - 40 mg;
- Sodium - 8 mg;
- Phosphorus - 34 mg;
- Chlorine - 50 mg;
- Iron - 0.6 mg;
- Iodine - 8 mcg;
- Cobalt - 4 mcg;
- Manganese - 0.3 mg;
- Copper - 120 mcg;
- Molybdenum - 9 mcg;
- Selenium - 0.6 mcg;
- Fluorine - 28 mcg;
- Chromium - 3 mcg;
- Zinc - 0.27 mg.
In addition, the composition contains mono- and disaccharides, as well as the most important essential acids. Frillis benefits precisely because of this combined composition; it is rather difficult to find similar combinations of elements in other food products.
You can evaluate the incredible benefits of Frillis salad even by individual indicators. So, for example, in 100 g of the product, the amount of vitamin K is 145% of the daily norm, cobalt - 40%, and vitamin A - 32%. At the same time, "live" vitamins are absorbed almost completely, in contrast to synthetic analogs. 100 g of leaves contain 1.2 g of dietary fiber, which is as much as 6% of the daily value calculated for the average man. The water in the leaves is 94 g, which gives the salad an incredible crunch.
Important! For those who control the diet, calorie content and the amount of nutrient intake, it is extremely important to pay attention to the foods that are introduced into the diet without replacing the parameters of analogue products in the table of calculations. Because, as we can see, even relative plants can have different calories and composition.
Useful properties of frillis salad
The benefits and harms of Frillis can be assessed based on its nutritional composition. It is noted that regular consumption of green leaves has a beneficial effect on the following systems of human life:
- Digestive … A sufficient amount of fiber normalizes the activity of the gastrointestinal tract, and cobalt, manganese, molybdenum, copper and other macronutrients are part of the enzymes that normalize metabolism.
- Immune … Vitamin C, contained in Frillis lettuce, stimulates the body's natural defenses, and also takes an active role in the fight against free radicals, is a natural antioxidant.
- Circulatory … The combined vitamin and mineral composition with low calorie content of Frillis leads to the maximum assimilation of useful elements from the salad. Iron, vitamin K, C and other elements are involved in strengthening the walls of blood vessels, regulating blood clotting processes and the production of hemoglobin.
- Excretory … Consumption of a sufficient amount of fluid, fiber, elements that stimulate metabolism, leads to the normalization of the water-salt balance in the body and the work of the excretory system as a whole.
- Endocrine … Macronutrients have a beneficial effect on the thyroid gland.
- Reproductive … Vitamin A plays an important role in the functioning of the reproductive system in women, 100 g of Frillis salad, the benefits of which are more than harm, contains 32% of the daily intake of vitamin A.
It should be noted that the beneficial effect of a plant on a particular system of the human body is due not to individual microelements, but to their complex. So, for example, the normalization of the work of the gastrointestinal tract is influenced not only by the fiber of the leaves, but also by vitamins and minerals. Also, the key to this effect is the systematic consumption of salad in food and adherence to a healthy lifestyle in general. A one-time use of a useful product will not give a tangible health result.
The beneficial properties of Frillis salad are difficult to assess, but it must be understood that the product is not medicinal. Its consumption is recommended for people with digestive distress, weak blood vessels or general fatigue, but food is not a substitute for treatment if medically required.
What is Frillis, recipes based on it are also recommended for pregnant women. A sufficient amount of folic acid in the plant has a beneficial effect on the development of the fetus and the nervous system of the expectant mother, the normalization of the excretory system reduces the risk of edema, and the immunostimulating effect of regular consumption of lettuce is beneficial for both the mother and the baby.
Contraindications and harm of frillis salad
The benefits and harms of frillis salad are very relative concepts. This product alone in your diet, even despite the huge amount of useful elements in the composition, will not be able to normalize the condition, that is, it will not be beneficial. Only the systematic consumption of salad in food will have a beneficial effect. At the same time, the dish has practically no contraindications.
In small doses, the plant is harmless, although there are exceptions. Frillis salad is not useful in two cases:
- Individual intolerance to any of the plant elements … Most allergy sufferers are aware of their aversion to certain foods. But if this is your first time trying Frillis lettuce leaves, be careful about your health.
- The plant is grown in an aggressive environment with the addition of active chemical fertilizers … This is possible if the dosage of fertilizers is not observed when growing plants at home. In industrial agricultural complexes, such situations are extremely rare. The consequences of chemicalization of the soil can be very serious, up to the mass poisoning of people.
The likelihood that Frillis will bring harm, rather than benefit, is negligible, but it still should not be ruled out. Be mindful of the food you buy, choose fresh leaves from trusted producers, and get the most out of your Frillis salad.
How is frillis salad eaten?
Frillis salad is included in any recipe fresh raw. These greens contain the highest amount of nutrients and retain their rich taste for up to 10 days, provided they are stored correctly. To extend this period, the plant in supermarkets is stored in special pots.
During feasts, greens are used as a decorative element to a dish or as an addition to meat and fish. Some manufacturers pack already washed frillis lettuce leaves. But it is still recommended to thoroughly rinse and dry the herbs before serving.
The leaves can be sprinkled with lemon juice or a few drops of vegetable oil to brighten the flavor.
Frillis salad recipes
The calorie content of Frillis salad is minimal. But at the same time, the product is rich in vitamins and microelements, which makes it an excellent basis for dietary meals. Greens are added to salads, canapes and sandwiches, main dishes. Heat treatment is tried to be minimized or not used at all. This ingredient is added to the dish for juiciness and texture. The pleasant crunch of the salad refreshes the dish.
Popular recipes with frillis salad:
- Shrimp and avocado salad … Peel the two avocados, salt and drizzle with lemon juice. Fry two heads of garlic in warmed olive oil. When the garlic starts to "golden", take it out of the pan. Fry shrimps in the same oil (25 pieces). The salad is served as follows: Frillis leaves are laid out on a wide dish, diced avocado on top, and then fried shrimp. The dressing is olive oil after frying, mixed with the juice of one lemon and black pepper (optional).
- Spring refreshing salad … To prepare one serving of salad, cut one cucumber and three fresh radishes into thin cups, grate medium-sized celery root on a "carrot grater", cut two boiled eggs into large pieces, and tear lettuce leaves (50 g) by hand. The vegetable mixture can be supplemented with green peas and fresh cilantro leaves (no more than 20 g). The dressing for the dish consists of a mixture of vegetable oil, lemon juice and Italian herbs. All ingredients of the dressing are taken one tablespoon at a time. Add the sauce just before serving the dish to the table.
- Avocado and Frillis salad … For the dish you will need one avocado, celery stalks (10 stalks), a bunch of lettuce, fresh cucumber and tomato (1 each), feta cheese (100 g). The ingredients are cut into small cubes. For the sauce, mix 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, two tablespoons of lemon juice, a teaspoon of brown sugar, salt and spices to taste.
- Pancake canapes with salad … First you need to prepare pancakes: 2 eggs are mixed with a glass of boiling water, a glass of milk, a glass of premium wheat flour. The dough can be slightly salted. Pancakes are fried over low heat until golden brown. Next, canapes are formed: the finished pancake is smeared with curd cheese, leaf salad Frillis is laid, then the pancake smeared with curd cheese is again laid, and trout is placed on top. We continue laying out the canapes in this order: pancake, curd mass, salad, pancake, curd mass, trout, pancake completes the design. Finished canapes are fixed with skewers.
- Vegetarian pizza … To prepare the base, you will need a glass of green buckwheat, half a glass of sunflower seeds, half a tablespoon of vegetable oil, salt to taste. Before cooking, green buckwheat should be soaked in water for 15 minutes. Then all the components of the dough are thoroughly mixed. If the dough is too tight, you can add two tablespoons of water. Roll out the base like a cake and leave it in the oven at 80 ° C for 5 minutes, then another 15 minutes at 50 ° C. Put the filling on the finished pizza base - lettuce leaves, tomato thinly sliced into rings, tofu and olives, season the dish with peeled pumpkin seeds and sea salt, and pour white balsamic cream on top (no more than 30 ml).
Frillis salad recipes are very simple and do not require complex preparation or specific equipment. But it is also noted that the plant can be used in all recipes instead of Iceberg lettuce. The modified dish will be slightly softer in taste, but not inferior in freshness, crunch and healthiness to Iceberg salads.
Interesting Frillis Salad Facts
The first shoots of a new botanical variety emerged in California at the beginning of the 20th century. And today you can buy frillis in almost any supermarket. At the same time, domestic housewives do not abandon active attempts to cultivate culture at home.
Growing frillis salad is a simple process. Seeds are planted in a row in clean soil. It is necessary to scatter the culture at a distance from each other, since the salad rises quickly. At home, to create a greenhouse effect, the planting container can be covered with a film, and when the first shoots appear, the film is removed. For the culture, abundant watering and timely feeding are important, but it is impossible to loosen the soil so as not to damage the roots.
The ideal time for planting seeds is early spring. The salad prefers sunny locations and a temperature of no more than 20 ° C. If the ambient temperature rises higher, the leaves of Frillis will lose their turgor, and in the cut state they are not stored for long. To prevent this from happening, fresh herbs are cut early in the morning or just before eating.
Watch a video about Frillis salad:
Frillis salad is an ideal product for those who are looking after their health and weight. The calorie content of Frillis is low, and the concentration of useful elements is high. The plant is easy to buy in large supermarkets, but it is also easy to grow at home. Recipes for delicious dishes based on healthy herbs are easy to find online, but as your culinary practice grows, you will be able to come up with dishes yourself.