What is metallized paint, what are its advantages and disadvantages, the rules for choosing the material, how to apply it to the walls and create a unique design of the room with its help. Before starting finishing work, make sure that you have the necessary set of tools for the painting process. It usually consists of two flange brushes, a fine decorative brush, and a construction roller with replaceable attachments. In addition, the work requires a bucket to mix paints, oilcloth material as protection for surfaces from accidental smudges and drops, two spatulas, a sheet of sandpaper and a container for metallized paint.
Preparatory work before finishing the walls with metallized paint
In order to correctly calculate the cost of paint for wall decoration, it is necessary to measure the working area in advance. There are some tips:
- To calculate the volume of painted surfaces, you need to calculate the perimeter of the room and multiply by the height. You should always keep a small amount of paint in stock, therefore, you should not remove the area of door and window openings from the general calculations, since if you calculate the amount of funds "to zero" without a remainder, then it may not be enough, and you will again have to look for the necessary shade for minor cosmetic repairs. Such parts always require a supply of paint.
- When making calculations, always remember that the surface of the walls must be covered in at least two layers, but the second and further will require 20% less product than the previous one.
- Pay attention to the indication of paint consumption, which is present on the package. If you are a beginner in the construction business, then it is better to purchase material with a small margin, it will definitely come in handy for you.
After you have bought the right amount of paint, proceed to the preparatory work. The latter are divided into several stages:
- The first step is to remove the remnants of old finishing materials from the walls. The surfaces must be cleaned of wallpaper, paint and plaster. What matters here is what material the wall was covered with. If with a layer of wallpaper, then they can simply be removed, and then the surface should be well putty and cleaned. In order to remove water-based paint, it is enough just to wet the sponge with water and rinse it thoroughly. If the surface of the wall was covered with oil paint or enamel, then it will be cleaned with a spatula.
- The next step is to prime the work surface. This procedure does not require special training, but it is necessary to purchase a quality product from a hardware store for work, for example, a deep penetration primer. This product is suitable for any kind of substrate due to its excellent physical, technical and performance properties. The primer is applied to the walls with a roller or brush.
- The penultimate stage - puttying the walls, leveling their surface. It is important to consider what material they are made of. If this is a brick plastered wall, then the putty can simply be applied not with it. Before puttingty a reinforced concrete surface, you need to use a mesh from the frame, which must be fixed to the surface. Such a frame is required only for large rooms; for bathrooms or toilets, a mesh is not required.
- The final step is the final layer of putty. After finishing the putty work, it is necessary to carefully treat the surfaces with sandpaper and a primer.
Thus, in a few steps, you can prepare the wall for the start of painting. But first, the surfaces must dry well.
Instructions for decorating walls with metallized paint
To apply metallized paint with high quality, you do not need special skills, it is enough to strictly follow the procedure for performing painting work. General recommendations for working with this type of paint: the temperature in the working room should not be higher than 22 degrees, humidity - no more than 55%. It doesn't matter what kind of finishing work you do, these recommendations must be followed. When painting, follow this pattern:
- You need to start painting the walls from the upper right or left corner. It is worth noting: when painting with a roller, be careful, the tool should not come into contact with the ceiling.
- First, all parts of the walls (both upper and lower) must be painted over with a narrow brush or roller (the width of the tool should be up to 10 centimeters). You also need to paint the surfaces around door and window openings. The stripes of paint should not reach the ceiling itself; in the upper part, the distance between the ceiling should be no more than two centimeters. Many methods can be used to draw such a line, but the most common is the use of a bend.
- If the seams in the wall are made wasted, then they must be carefully painted over with the help of rollers. Sometimes it is difficult to paint the surfaces between the blocks, for such cases it is recommended to use a thin brush with a long handle.
- Walls should be painted using this technique: vertical stripes from top to bottom. Further, the lower part of the surface is painted in the same way.
- If you are working with a roller, then first walk along the wall in cross movements, and then level the layers of paint from top to bottom. Paint in narrow stripes, it will be quite convenient: the top and bottom of the wall will dry evenly.
It is recommended to use a large amount of paint for painting the entire surface. The wall should be wet for a long time: thus, after drying, the seams and various small defects on the surface will not be visible.
Metallic paint wall decor options
Today there are many ways to paint a wall using structural paint. There is nothing difficult in various application techniques. But before decorating the entire surface, practice with a small piece of plywood. If you want to decorate the wall with a special texture, then for work you need to purchase a relief roller and a small round brush, which will be convenient for working in the corners of the room. There should be a lot of paint on the working tool, you need to drive it in with light movements, thus creating various structures. Consider the most popular ways to decorate walls:
- Antique finish … With the help of metallized paint, you can beautifully decorate surfaces, change their structure, and give an antique look. For the best result, an additional layer of craquelure should be applied over the metal-like paint. Any wall will be incredibly transformed in a few strokes. The repainted surface can be left with a soft glossy sheen, but if you want to age it a little, use a craquelure treatment. A similar effect is enhanced if small cracks in the wall are emphasized with burnt umber. It must be applied to the surface, on a fresh layer of paint, then the remnants of the materials are removed, the umber remains only in the cracks, creating a beautiful textured pattern.
- "Patina" … The patina covered walls imitate a metal surface that has slightly oxidized under the influence of external factors. This effect will perfectly complement the walls in rooms with stucco moldings in an ornamental or figured style. The glaze must be applied in several layers, thus obtaining an antique copper or bronze finish. On the construction market, you can purchase a complete set, which has everything you need to create such a finish. Paints can be mixed and combined with each other - for this, simple acrylic glaze and ordinary dyes are used. Also, the patina effect will look beautiful as a decor on interior items, for example, on the molding of the cornice, which is located along the perimeter of the room.
How to paint walls "like metal" - watch the video:
The walls covered with metallized paint shine beautifully with a glossy sheen. In addition, using additional means, the surface can be decorated "antique" or create a patina effect. A room with such a finish will look bold, stylish and exclusive.