Sewerage device in the basement and the choice of system elements. Popular models of pumping stations and their characteristics. Installation of a drainage system from the basement.
Sewerage in the basement - this part of the in-house drainage system, which is located in the underground part of the house below the external mains for moving water to the disposal site. The system cannot function on its own and requires the use of pumping stations to pump out the liquid to the level of the drainage line. The sewerage system in the basement and the choice of components will be discussed later.
Features of the sewerage device in the basement
In the photo there is a sewage system in the basement
When developing a project for a private house, it is very important to think about how to rationally use the entire area of the house, including the basement. It is not possible to equip a bedroom or living room in the underground part of the building, but you can fit a kitchen, exercise equipment, a sauna, etc. there. Often in these rooms, plumbing devices or mechanisms that consume water are installed: sinks, toilets, sinks, etc. A feature of the sewage system in the basement of the house is the location of the pipes - they are always below the level of the external drainage system. Therefore, before arranging underground rooms, develop a basement plan with water supply and sewerage and the placement of products for draining out drains. The main structural elements of the system are shown below.
Sewerage pumps are designed to lift liquid from the basement. They are selected depending on the type of wastewater, which are conventionally divided into moderately polluted and highly polluted. The latter type includes liquids with solid impurities, for example, coming from the toilet. Pumps equipped with grinders do well with them. Special knives grind hard fragments to the point that they easily move with the flow. Another type of wastewater is simply dirty water from a washbasin, bathroom, kitchen, etc. It can be easily pumped with a conventional centrifugal or drainage pump. With a small volume of liquid to be removed (up to 1 m3 per hour) use low-power products connected to each sewer point. Large amounts of water from swimming pools, washing machines, etc. output by high-performance pumping stations capable of pumping up to 10 m3 in hour. With the help of these devices, it is also possible to remove drains from one pipe, into which they come from all over the house. Typical examples of pumping stations for basement sewerage are products of the Sololift type. The set of the device includes: a storage tank, a filter, a check valve and other elements. When pumping a large amount of liquid, for example from a pool, a conventional pump is the best option.
The non-return valve is designed to prevent liquid from flowing from the external line back to the basement. There are conflicting opinions about the need to install such devices. On the one hand, the reverse movement of drains is extremely rare, so the installation of this part does not justify the cost of its installation. On the other hand, compliance with sanitary safety standards is much more important than additional investments. Therefore, the decision to use check valves must be made by the owner.
In the basement sewer, two types of such devices are used:
- Pumping station valves. Modern products are sold with built-in anti-backflow mechanisms.
- Individual valves. Installed in the pipeline behind the pump. Some models are special modules that, if necessary, drain the waste into a special container outside the house. The latter option has a significant drawback - the presence of additional mechanisms often becomes the reason for clogging the system.
The pipeline behind the pump is assembled from pipes with a diameter of 22-50 mm, capable of withstanding a sufficiently high pressure - 0.5-1.5 atm. It is not recommended to mount ordinary products in this place. For forced drainage, pipes from Geberit, Uponor and some other manufacturers, which are very durable, can be used.
Selection of pumping stations for basement sewage
In the photo there is a sololift for sewerage
To organize the smooth operation of the sewage system in the basement, it is necessary to build a system for the forced discharge of sewage to the disposal site. The main elements in such designs are compact automatic pumping units, which are often called sololifts.
The product consists of the following units:
- Storage tank … Designed to collect wastewater. The body is made of high-strength plastic that can withstand temperatures up to +45 degrees, but some models are capable of pumping sewage with a temperature of +90 degrees for a short time. The newest models do not have a limitation on the temperature of the effluent. The container is sealed, which completely excludes the ingress of the contents outside. An opening (one or more) is made in the walls to connect the supply pipes. Sololift tanks are small and do not spoil the interior of the room. Collapsible container - the cover can be easily removed for servicing mechanisms.
- Pump … The devices use a submersible centrifugal pump operating from a 220 V network. It is equipped with automatic on and off sensors that are triggered when the liquid reaches a certain level. The pump can lift the drains 7-9 m along the vertical basement sewer pipe and move it at a distance of 100 m in the horizontal plane. The product is closed on all sides, so its operation is almost inaudible.
- Chopper … It is a sharp-edged impeller. When rotated, it grinds solid particles to a homogeneous mass, which allows them to be removed with water without the risk of blocking the pipe. Models that are connected to kitchen sinks or toilets are equipped with a chopper.
- Check Valve … The element excludes the return of wastewater from the sewer pipe back to the storage tank.
- Vent valve with charcoal filter for sewage in the basement … Prevents unpleasant odors from penetrating outside during device operation.
- Inlet filter … It traps solid elements and collects them in one place, from where they can be easily removed by hand.
- Alarm … After filling the tank, an audible signal sounds and the pump begins to pump out the contents of the tank.
Sololifts for sewage in the basement function as follows:
- The effluent flows from the plumbing fixture into the tank, in which it accumulates and partially settles. Heavy elements (sand, debris) accumulate at the bottom, and light elements (toilet paper, cigarette butts, feces) are retained by the inlet filter (coarse mesh).
- After filling the tank to a certain level, the switch of the unit is triggered, and the pump begins to pump out the sewage.
- The grinder, which is located at the top of the tank, grinds all large debris that has not passed through the mesh. The resulting porridge is mixed with water and enters the pump, which pushes the entire mixture through vertical pipes to the external sewage system.
- After the liquid level drops, the product stops working.
Basement sewerage pumps are available in various designs that differ in the configuration. Simple devices are designed to pump dirty water from washbasins, showers, washstands and are not designed to move large household waste, grease, garbage, etc. They are installed near each plumbing fixture. More complex models are called pumping stations. They come with shredders and can be connected to kitchen sinks or toilets. There are also powerful products for pumping large quantities of liquid.
The use of pumping stations for sewage in the basement of different manufacturers:
|Sololift||Sanipro||Sanivite||Sanidouche||HiDrainlift 3-24||Sololift2 C-3||Sololift2 WC-3|
|Points with low water consumption||+||+||+||+||+||+|
|Points with high water consumption||-||+||-||+||+||-|
The most popular pumping stations for the drainage system in the basement are the products of the Danish company Grundfos, which is the undisputed leader in the production of units for drainage systems.
The range of Grundfos sololifts is as follows:
- Sololift WC-1, WC-2, WC-3 … The device is equipped with a grinder and is designed to be connected to the toilet. There is overheating protection. The models differ in the number of connected pipes - from 1 to 3. The volume of the storage device is 9 l, weight - 7, 3 kg.
- Sololift2 WC-1, WC-2, WC-3 … These are upgraded models of previous devices. They are distinguished by increased pump power, improved cutting tools, and a compact body.
- Sololift CWC-3 … The model does not differ in its characteristics from WC-3, except for the location of the inlet pipe. It is located at the end, which is very convenient for connecting to a wall-mounted toilet.
- Sololift D-2 … It is used to move liquids without solids, so it is not connected to the toilet. The device for the kitchen is equipped with two inlets for supplying drains from two points. Tank volume - 2 liters, weight - 3 kg.
- Sololift WC-3 … The product provides the ability to connect 3 inlet pipes at the same time. The model is horizontal, low, it is easy to connect it to the bathroom, shower, sink or other plumbing fixtures. The volume of the container is 9 liters, the weight is 7.3 kg. The device is equipped with a vortex-type installation to eliminate blockages.
- Sololift D-3 … Equipped with a blower with a capacity of 60 l / min., Providing liquid supply to a height of 5.5 m. Has 3 inlets. The built-in chopper grinds dense feces and solid debris.
- Sololift2 D-3 … It differs from the previous model in its ability to pump hot water. The pumping equipment is enclosed in a modernized casing, the shape of which makes it easy to service.
- Sololift C-3 … Used for pumping large quantities of water. The unit does not have a shredder, so you cannot connect it to the toilet. The ingress of large solid elements will lead to breakage of the sololift. С-3 refers to sophisticated modern models that, unlike other products, can be connected to household appliances - washing machines, dishwashers, etc. The temperature of the drains can reach +90 degrees. It is allowed to simultaneously connect 3 supply pipes to the device.
- Sololift2 C-3 … This is a modified model of the C-3 product, which has a number of improvements: it can work with hot water for an unlimited time; equipped with a float switch that operates in two levels; the electric motor, pump and control system are assembled into one unit, which makes them easy to service.
The main characteristics of Grundfos sololifts for sewage in the basement of the house:
|Options||Pump type Sololift +|
|Weight, kg||5, 4||5, 4||5.5||4.9||4, 7||3, 5|
|Productivity, l / min.||5, 7||5, 7||5, 7||4.5||3.9||3.6|
|Lifting height, m||8||8||8||6||6||5.5|
|Maximum waste water temperature, ° С||40||40||40||40||70 (up to 2 min.)||40|
|Acceptable pH level of the liquid||4 to 10|
|Pump power, kW||400||400||400||350||300||270|
Recommendations for the selection of Grundfos sololifts for various points of water consumption:
|Shower / shower cabin||+||+||+|
Read more about sewer design
Installation of sewerage in the basement with forced drainage
The technology for installing the drainage system, including connecting the pumping station, is quite simple. All operations can be done by hand, which significantly reduces the cost of sewage in the basement. The assembly of the line is similar to the procedure for arranging the indoor and outdoor systems. The work is carried out in two stages: first, the productivity and number of products are determined, and then the assembly of the system.
Preparation for the installation of the drainage system includes the following operations
- Determination of the power of the sololift. To make the sewage system in the basement, as required by SNiPs, calculate the volume of the pumped liquid. Based on the results obtained, select a device of the required performance and power - these characteristics are indicated in the product passport. If the amount of sewage exceeds 1 m3, divide the drains into moderately dirty and highly dirty and use models with and without grinders.
- Development of the layout of pumping stations. Before making a sewage system in the basement of a private house, study the options for using sololifts. When developing a sewage project, keep in mind that the use of several low-power products is more profitable than one high-performance device. The methods of connecting devices depend on the number of water points and the volume of wastewater.
Options for sewer schemes in the basement
- Only 1 toilet - low power sololift with a chopper.
- 1 toilet + other plumbing points through which 0.7-1 m3 of waste passes - a low-power pump with a grinder or a small pumping station.
- 1 toilet + other objects of water consumption through which a lot of liquid passes - a powerful blower for removing dirty water from a large tank + a pump with a low-capacity grinder for all other points.
When developing a layout for sewerage elements in a basement with sololifts, ensure the following requirements:
- In a system with a centrifugal pump, do not use large diameter pipes, 40-50 mm is sufficient.
- Connect the outlet of the product directly to a vertical pipe.
- When installing the basement sewerage line, observe the slope angles of the pipelines: after the vertical branch, lay a non-pressure pipe with an inclination towards the storage tank - 20 mm per 1 running meter, for the pressure section - 6 mm per 1 running meter.
- Choose a location for the pumping station that ensures its maintenance during operation.
- Place devices connected to the toilet at a minimum distance from the plumbing fixture.
- Leave the gap between the product and the nearest object at least 10 mm.
- Assemble the pipeline from the sololift to the main sewer line without bends in order to reduce the resistance when pumping out water.
- There is a relationship between upward and sideways movement of wastewater - the higher the vertical pipe, the less forced movement of wastewater in the perpendicular direction. For example, at a lifting height of 1 m, the sololift is capable of pumping liquid 50 m horizontally. After a rise of 4 m, the pressure will be felt on a horizontal section of only 10 m. With an increase in the power of the device, these values will change, but the proportions of movement of the contents of the pipes will remain.
The installation of the sewage system in the basement is carried out in the following sequence
- Install a sololift near a plumbing fixture or mechanism. Place rubber or other vibration-absorbing material underneath.
- Make sure there is a filter for catching small objects - hair, debris, etc. Even a shredder cannot process large items. If a towel gets inside, it will only have to be removed mechanically.
- Check that the inlet in the sololift body matches the diameter of the supply pipe.
- Install a pipe from a plumbing point or a water-consuming machine with a diameter of 110 mm into the inlet of the pumping station.
- Run a drain in the basement and connect it to the outlet of the sololift. Seal pipe joints securely with sealant or gaskets.
- Secure the unit to the floor using only the parts supplied. Self-tapping screws and other fasteners not included in the delivery cannot be used.
- Connect the sololift to the electrical network in accordance with electrical safety requirements. To do this, use a three-core cable that must be connected to the residual current device.
After starting the operation of the sewage system in the basement, constantly monitor the condition of pipelines and mechanisms. The procedure consists in periodically cleaning all elements of the line from fatty, lime and bottom sediments. First, disconnect the device from the power supply and flush the entire line with special substances. To clean the pumping station, remove the cover, remove any deposits and flush the system with copious amounts of water.
Possible malfunctions of the sololift and ways to eliminate them are shown in the table:
|Malfunction||Problem||Eliminating the problem|
|Overheating or seized pump or motor||Ingress of solid objects||Cleaning the device or replacing the motor|
|Overheating of the engine||The unit is not designed to pump hot water||Replacing the product with another that works with hot water|
|Constant overheating of the engine||The engine is constantly hot due to contamination of the system||Timely cleaning of sewage elements or increasing the diameter of pipes (replacement of pipes)|
|Engine breakdown after freezing||Deformation of pump and motor elements under the influence of low temperature||Product repair or replacement|
|Burnout engine||Water has entered the engine||Replacing the engine, restoring the tightness of the structure|
|Burnout engine||Sticking moving parts||Replacing the engine|
How to make a sewage system in a basement without pumping stations?
The owners of mansions built on plots with difficult or hilly terrain will benefit from information on how to drain the basement without expensive sololifts. Unlike the previous version, the drains are first moved by gravity horizontally into a storage tank outside the house, and then removed by a drainage pump.
Instructions for installing a sewage system in a basement without pumping stations:
- Dig a hole near the house with a volume of 0.5-1 m3… The depth of the well should be such that the top is below the sewer pipes in the basement.
- The pit must be completely sealed, so metal or plastic containers are considered ideal.
- Dig a trench from home to drive. Pour a layer of sand and gravel at the bottom and make a surface with a slope of 3 degrees towards the container. Connect the container to the drain in the basement with pipes and make sure that the water flows by gravity into the reservoir.
- Install a drainage pump with a grinder and a float switch in the well, which will pump wastewater from the pit into the external line.
- As you use plumbing fixtures, water accumulates in the container. When a certain level of sewage is reached, the float switch will turn on the pump. After emptying the container from the drains, the product will automatically turn off.
Sewerage installation price in the basement
The cost of a sewerage device in the basement consists of two items - the cost of purchasing system components and installation.
The most expensive elements of the system are pumping stations. The cost of the product depends on the modification, performance characteristics, functionality, as well as on the pricing policy of the store. To save money, you can purchase sewerage sololifts in the basement of outdated models that will cope with the task no worse than the latest models. In this case, no one pays attention to the size, shape and appearance of the product.
The price of the sewage system in the basement also depends on the material of the pipeline. The line immediately behind the pump must be very strong and withstand the increased water pressure. It is assembled from special blanks, the cost of which is higher than the usual ones made of plastic or metal.
Basement drainage costs will be reduced by not using blowers to lift drains. In this case, the dirty water moves by gravity from the room and is removed with a conventional pump. The work of burying pipes to a considerable depth is physically difficult and time-consuming, but costs less than sololifts.
The tables below show the prices for some models of sololifts for sewage in the basement and the cost of installing the system.
Price of Grundfos pumping equipment for sewage in a basement in Russia:
|Model||Dimensions, mm||price, rub.|
|Sololift + D-3||165x380x217||15000|
|Sololift + WC-1||175x452x346||15000|
|Sololift + C-3||158x493x341||20000|
|Sololift + WC-3||175x441x452||22000|
|Sololift + CWC-3||164x495x538||22000|
The price of Grundfos pumping equipment for the sewage system in the basement in Ukraine:
|Model||Dimensions, mm||Price, UAH.|
|Sololift + D-3||165x380x217||7300|
|Sololift + WC-1||175x452x346||7400|
|Sololift + C-3||158x493x341||8700|
|Sololift + WC-3||175x441x452||10100|
|Sololift + CWC-3||164x495x538||10200|
Average price of installing a sewage system in a basement in Russia:
|Operation||unit of measurement||Cost, rub.|
|Water and sewerage supply to the plumbing fixture||point||540|
|Installing a check valve in the line||PCS.||400|
|Sewerage point installation||PCS.||190|
|Laying the sewer branch||m p.||220|
|Drain pump installation||PCS.||3200|
|Installation of pressure sewerage pipelines||for all the work||7400|
The average price of installing a sewage system in a basement in Ukraine:
|Operation||unit of measurement||Cost, UAH|
|Water and sewerage supply to the plumbing fixture||point||250|
|Installing a check valve in the line||PCS.||150|
|Sewerage point installation||PCS.||80|
|Laying the sewer branch||m p.||100|
|Drain pump installation||PCS.||1500|
|Installation of pressure sewerage pipelines||for all the work||3000|
How to make a sewer in the basement - watch the video:
Arrangement of a sewage system in a private house in the basement is very expensive, and, despite all the positive aspects, it is recommended to use forced drainage from the basement only in extreme cases. Gravity removal of dirty liquid is much more reliable, more durable than forced and does not depend on the functioning of various mechanisms.