A step-by-step recipe with a photo of how to properly pickle onions so that the pungent smell and pungency disappear. Photo and video.
Onions are one of the few vegetables that are very often used in recipes raw, pickled, boiled, fried, and so on. However, this indispensable raw vegetable has a slight bitterness and a pungent smell that not everyone likes. And not all dishes have a bitter-spicy onion flavor. For example, being too spicy can ruin the taste of salted herring, baked meats, salads, and snacks. As a result, it is important for many recipes to remove bitterness from onions. Therefore, housewives ask themselves how to remove bitterness from onions so that they remain crispy but less spicy at the same time. In this review, I will tell you how to pickle onion slices and remove the bitterness from it, so that it does not spoil the dish.
Experienced chefs have long come up with many different ways to remove bitterness from onions, and not even one. I will tell you the simplest option, in my opinion, and share with some secrets. Then you can use fresh raw onions in salads and other dishes without fear of a pungent smell. I want to warn you that this recipe is more related to yellow onions. Since a sweet variety of onions, for example, red, does not have much bitterness. Therefore, before you remove the bitterness from red onions, it is best to taste them and make sure that their taste is impeccable.
- Calorie content per 100 g - 12 kcal.
- Servings - 1
- Cooking time - 10 minutes
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Sugar - 1 tsp (no top)
- Table vinegar - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - a pinch
- Boiled water - 100 ml
How to remove bitterness from onions, step by step cooking:
1. Peel the onions and wash them under running cold water. On the board with a sharp knife, chop it into rings, half rings or quarter rings, as you like.
2. Place the onion slices in a pickling container and add sugar.
3. Next, pour in the vinegar.
4. Toss the onion with sugar and vinegar. You can use apple cider vinegar (6%) instead of table vinegar. Lemon juice is also suitable, it removes onion bitterness well. Add 1 tablespoon to 100 ml of water. lemon juice. But lemon juice will give the onion a sour taste.
5. Pour boiling water over the onion so that it just covers the prepared vegetable.
6. Leave the onion in boiling water. Two minutes will be enough for the glycosides and essential oils to evaporate. The vegetable should not be exposed to boiling water for a long time, otherwise the beneficial properties will be destroyed as much as possible, it will become soft and less crunchy. In 2 minutes, the onion will be simultaneously marinated, lose its bitterness and remain crispy.
You can pour onions for pickling with warm water for 5 minutes or cold water for 15 minutes.
7. Tip the onion onto a sieve to drain all the liquid. Then be sure to rinse it in a colander with clean cold water. This will help maintain the crunch of the vegetable as well as stop the effects of temperature. Transfer the onion slices to a paper towel and dry well. After that, the onion is considered ready for use and can be used in a variety of dishes.
This is the most popular way to get rid of the bitterness in an onion properly. There is also an option with salt. To do this, it is important to cut the onion as thin as possible and sprinkle it with salt evenly for 15 minutes. Or place the chopped onion in salted water for 10-15 minutes, then rinse the onion. The salt will draw out some of the juice and also make the onion less spicy. The advantages of this method are that the onions get rid of bitterness, while remaining crispy. But there is one drawback, although this is not always a drawback - the onion becomes saltier.