Composition, calorie content, useful properties and contraindications of strawberry jam. Cooking recipes, desserts with strawberry jam.
Strawberry jam is a dessert made of berries cooked in sweet syrup. Unlike jams and confitures, it is usually prepared with preserving the integrity of the berries, however, the so-called raw or live jam is an exception, in this case the heat treatment stage is omitted - the strawberries are simply whipped in a blender with sugar. Jam is actively used in cooking, both for baking - mainly pies, and for creating original sauces for meat, poultry or a cheese plate. In addition, thick strawberry jam can be eaten directly with tea or other hot drink. At the same time, when eating berry jam, you can count on not only great taste, but also benefits for the body.
Composition and calorie content of strawberry jam
In the photo, strawberry jam
Despite the fact that the jam is made from low-calorie berries, the sugar added during cooking greatly increases this parameter.
Calorie content of strawberry jam - 285 kcal per 100 g, of which
- Proteins - 0.3 g;
- Fat - 0.1 g;
- Carbohydrates - 74 g;
- Dietary fiber - 1, 7 g;
- Water - 23 g.
But, one way or another, since the dessert has a reduced amount of fat, it can still be included in a small amount in the diet, thereby even enriching it a little. Of course, during cooking, most of the useful components leave the berries, but they remain in some amount.
Vitamins per 100 g
- Vitamin A, RE - 3 μg;
- Beta carotene - 0.02 mg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.01 mg
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.05 mg;
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - 0.03 mcg;
- Vitamin B9, folate - 2 mcg;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - 8, 4 mg;
- Vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol - 0.3 mg;
- Vitamin PP, NE - 0.4 mg;
- Niacin - 0.4 mg
Macronutrients per 100 g
- Potassium - 135 mg;
- Calcium - 10 mg;
- Magnesium - 7 mg;
- Sodium - 13 mg;
- Phosphorus - 10 mg
Trace elements are represented by iron - 0.9 mg per 100 g.
In addition, strawberry jam contains useful organic acids, antioxidant, phenolic compounds, tannins.
Useful properties of strawberry jam
The benefits of strawberry jam are largely determined by the way it is prepared, the longer it is thermally processed and the more sugar is added to it, the less it is. See for yourself, raw strawberries contain 60 mcg of vitamin C per 100 g, while classic jam contains only 8 mcg. Although in a five-minute strawberry jam, and even more so in a live one, more ascorbic acid is probably stored.
And, nevertheless, the dessert makes an important contribution to the general vitamin and mineral balance of the human body, providing such useful properties:
- Normalization of the nervous system … Homemade strawberry jam with a cup of tea, of course, can cheer anyone up and invigorate well, but it is also believed that it can stimulate brain activity, for this reason, the dessert is recommended for use by the elderly. In addition, with a general tonic effect, it helps to normalize sleep and get rid of insomnia.
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases … The use of the product in reasonable amounts helps to stabilize the pressure, and also reduces the likelihood of developing atherosclerosis.
- Prevention of anemia … Self-preparation and consumption of strawberry jam is often recommended for pregnant women, it is believed that it will save from anemia and anemia.
- Strengthening immunity … The dessert contains antioxidant components: they not only regulate the activity of free radicals and prevent them from destroying cells, but in general have a positive effect on the body's immune forces.
- Normalization of bowel function … Also, due to the presence of fiber and pectin in the composition, the product contributes to normal intestinal motility, which, in turn, helps to quickly assimilate useful food components and remove harmful ones.
It is important to understand that the best strawberry jam in terms of benefits is homemade, since all kinds of artificial additives can be added to a store product that have a negative effect on human health.
C for 10-15 minutes, then take two hearts and glue them with strawberry jam (100 g).
Read also how to make strawberry jam for the winter.
Interesting facts about strawberry jam
If you want to get a beautiful strawberry jam, not for adding somewhere, but for decorating desserts, choose only a dense, good berry, and wash it as carefully as possible. It is better to just pour the strawberries with water, wait a little, then carefully drain and rinse well with running water right in a colander.
Remove stalks before washing, as strawberries lose less juice when removed from dry berries.
To make the taste of the jam original, it is not necessary to use other berries and fruits, you can play with taste with the help of spices and herbs, cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom, mint, and basil will sound especially good.
It is best to use cookware made of steel or copper or enameled without chips for cooking. If you take, for example, an aluminum bowl, this will negatively affect the taste of the product.
Be sure to remove the foam from the jam, otherwise it will be stored for less.
Watch the video about strawberry jam:
Strawberry jam is a delicious and healthy dessert. It can be eaten neat or added to various dishes. However, in view of the presence of sugar in it, you still need to use it in moderation, for some, strawberry jam is completely prohibited.