How to make viburnum jam? Features and TOP-5 best recipes - with whole berries and jelly, long-boiled and "live".
Viburnum jam is a very healthy dessert, the healing power of which is not disputed even by doctors. It will not only make tea drinking tastier, but also save you from colds, vitamin deficiency and many other diseases. Unfortunately, viburnum jam is not often found on our tables - many are frightened by the notes of bitterness and pronounced sourness in this berry. That is why housewives prefer to make a win-win jam from the more familiar, everyone's favorite raspberries, strawberries, cherries, etc. However, it is still wrong to bypass such a useful berry and close at least a couple of jars of viburnum jam for the winter is absolutely necessary, especially since it is necessary to cook its not difficult at all.
Features of making jam from viburnum
There are a lot of recipes for jam from viburnum. But there are two classic ones. In the first case, the berries are simply covered with sugar in equal proportions, left for several hours. Over time, they give juice, in which they are then boiled. This recipe allows you to get a thick and rich viburnum jam.
The second traditional recipe does not imply preliminary infusion of berries in sugar - a syrup is made from water and sugar, it is brought to a boil, the berries are poured and jam is made. This method, of course, is faster, however, it does not give such saturation as the first one.
Cooking times may vary. The simplest viburnum jam is to boil the berries in one step for about 30-50 minutes. The second option is cooking in several approaches for 5-10 minutes, while the product is completely cooled before each next cooking. This method allows you to get the same thick jam as during long cooking, but in this case the berries are heat-treated for a shorter time, which makes it possible to better preserve all the beneficial properties of viburnum jam.
If you use a gelling agent such as pectin or gelatin in your dessert, you can also make the jam thick without keeping it on the fire for too long. As a rule, when cooking with a gelling agent, just a few minutes is enough to achieve an optimal consistency, you get a thick and quick five-minute viburnum jam.
A separate line is the so-called "live" jam, in this case heat treatment is generally excluded, the viburnum is simply whipped in a blender with sugar or honey and stored in the freezer. With this method of preparation, the most useful substances are preserved.
Jelly-jam is also excellently made from viburnum, for its preparation you need to work a little more than for cooking a classic one, but the result is worth it, the dessert turns out to be very beautiful. Viburnum is perfectly combined with other berries and fruits, especially interesting combinations are obtained with apples and citruses.
Note! Viburnum berries are bitter, and if you are afraid that the bitterness will be too pronounced, put them in the freezer for several hours before cooking.
TOP 5 recipes for making jam from viburnum
However, whatever method you choose to make jam from viburnum, you will not have to face difficulties. You will need simple ingredients that are in any kitchen, and you will not need any special equipment - except perhaps a blender if you want to make delicious "live" jam from viburnum. Let's look at some interesting recipes.
Classic viburnum jam
To prepare the classic viburnum jam, you will need only three components - the berries themselves, water and sugar. However, this recipe is very susceptible to modifications, you can easily add some of your favorite ingredients, such as cinnamon or lemon zest.
- Caloric content per 100 g - 175 kcal.
- Servings - 50
- Cooking time - 8-9 hours
- Viburnum - 1 kg
- Sugar - 800 g
- Water - 200 ml
Step by step preparation of classic viburnum jam:
- Sort the berries well, rinse thoroughly in several waters, discard in a colander, let drain.
- When the fruits are well dry, put them in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Put the frozen berries in a saucepan, wait until they are slightly thawed, put on low heat and heat for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine water and sugar, until the sugar is completely dissolved, and when the syrup boils, put the fruits in it.
- Cook for about half an hour, then remove from the stove, leave for 5-6 hours.
- Put the jam on the fire again, boil until thick.
- Spread the dessert hot into prepared, clean and sterilized jars.
If you want to add spices or citrus zest to this simple viburnum jam recipe, it's best to do it 5-10 minutes before the end of cooking to preserve more of their beneficial properties.
Viburnum Jelly Jam
Jelly can be made with or without a gelling agent. In general, the addition of the latter is not so necessary, since the viburnum already contains a lot of natural pectin. This recipe is as simple as possible, without the addition of a gelling agent.
- Viburnum - 1 kg
- Sugar - 1 kg
- Water - 2 tbsp.
Step-by-step preparation of viburnum jelly:
- Sort out and rinse the berries well, put them in the freezer for several hours.
- Transfer the fruits to a saucepan, heat over low heat, when they soften, transfer them in portions to a sieve and grind.
- You will get a fairly thick juice, add sugar to it, pour in water, mix well.
- Place the resulting mass on fire, cook for about 50 minutes until thickened.
You can add a little citric acid to the ready-made jelly-jelly from a beautiful red viburnum, this will save you from sugaring, and the jelly will always remain transparent and beautiful.
Viburnum jam with orange
If the pure viburnum taste is not to your liking, this is not a reason to refuse a healthy delicacy, you just need to set off its taste with other berries or fruits. Here is a recipe for how to cook viburnum jam with oranges.
- Viburnum - 1.5 kg
- Oranges - 3-4 pcs.
- Sugar - 7-9 tbsp.
Step-by-step preparation of viburnum jam with orange:
- Rinse the viburnum, dry it, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours.
- Put the berries in a blender, let them thaw a little, then add the orange wedges along with the zest.
- Whisk the ingredients together, add sugar, beat again.
- Pour the mass into a saucepan, bring to a boil over low heat and simmer over the same low heat, boiling until thick.
- Divide the jam into the jars.
If at some point the jam starts to burn, pour in a little water, but do not overdo it, otherwise it will take too long to boil it.
Jam from apples and viburnum
Another interesting recipe for making jam from viburnum is with apples. It will especially appeal to connoisseurs of mild sweet taste.
- Viburnum - 400 g
- Apples - 1 kg
- Sugar - 1 kg
Step-by-step preparation of apple and viburnum jam:
- Slice the apples, core them, and peel them as well.
- Cut the fruit into a bowl, cover with sugar, leave overnight.
- Rinse the viburnum, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours.
- Take out the berries, defrost, put in a saucepan, warm up.
- When the viburnum softens, fold it on a sieve, wipe it.
- Pour the resulting thick viburnum juice into apples with sugar, mix.
- Cook the mass for about an hour over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Put the hot product in the jars.
Apple jam goes well with cinnamon, and therefore if you love this spice, be sure to add it to your dessert.
"Live" jam from viburnum with honey and lemon
If you are interested in the question of how to make the most healthy jam from viburnum, then this recipe for a "live" dessert is what you need.
- Viburnum - 1 kg
- Lemon - 2 pcs.
- Honey - 800 g
Step-by-step preparation of viburnum jam with honey and lemon:
- Rinse the viburnum, put it in the freezer, take it out and defrost it.
- Place the berries in a blender and beat.
- Slice the lemons, add to a blender, beat again. If you do not have a powerful apparatus, the fruit should first be scrolled through a meat grinder and only then put into a blender.
- Melt the honey in a water bath so that it becomes very liquid, and add to the mass of viburnum and lemon, mix well.
- Divide the live jam into containers and place in the freezer for storage.
Viburnum jam video recipes
As you can see, any recipe for viburnum jam is easy to prepare at home, so be sure to stock up on this delicious medicine for the winter.