What is condensed milk, how is it prepared? Nutritional value and calorie content of the product, the benefits and harms when introduced into the diet. What dishes can be cooked from condensed milk, history of origin.
Condensed milk is concentrated milk, which is added with sugar to extend the shelf life and improve the taste. The color is white, the consistency is homogeneous and thick, the taste is sweet. High-quality condensed milk is thick, the stream, if you try to pour it, is not interrupted.
How is condensed milk made?
Condensed milk production is a lengthy and expensive process. Raw materials - cow's milk - are poured into special boilers, the fat content is increased, pasteurized and cooled to 70 ° C. Then it is evaporated using a vacuum unit.
Syrup is boiled separately with sugar concentration up to 70%. Then he is allowed to brew for 20 minutes and is fed through the pipeline to the tanks with the evaporated milk, lactose is added and also fed through the pipeline to the filling line. Packaging is carried out in tetrapack packages, plastic bags and cans.
The human factor is completely excluded, all processes are mechanized. If a depressurization occurs during production, all products will have to be completely disposed of. To increase the shelf life, it is allowed to add calcium chloride and ascorbic acid.
It is impossible to make condensed milk, as in production, at home. Another technique is used:
- From regular milk … Raw materials, 1 liter, are poured into a saucepan with a thick bottom, evaporated over low heat. Approximately halfway through the process, when it boils down by a quarter, add a glass of sugar and continue cooking. When the color turns brownish, you can turn it off.
- With milk powder … The feedstock is evaporated in a water bath, mixing equal amounts of ordinary milk, dry milk and sugar. As soon as the volume is reduced by a third, you can turn it off.
- From goat milk … To make homemade condensed milk, 1 liter of raw material is poured into a metal pot, a third of a teaspoon of soda is added, 2 cups of sugar are added and boiled over low heat until a golden-colored product is obtained.
- Condensed milk with cocoa … The syrup is boiled from 400 g of sugar. Then 1 liter of milk is boiled, as already described, cooled sugar syrup is poured in. Cook until the volume of the product decreases by a third, add 2 tbsp. l. cocoa and stir until smooth.
- With butter … Take 0, 4 l of milk and add 60 g of butter. It is not necessary to boil for a long time, it is enough to boil for 10 minutes. Cooled at room temperature and removed for 8 hours in the refrigerator. During this time, the liquid thickens.
Interesting! There is a concentrate that uses salt instead of sugar. But since the milk itself is sweet, the salty taste is practically neutralized. But you won't be able to cook condensed milk with salt at home. Canned unleavened condensed milk is made only in the factory.
Composition and calorie content of condensed milk
The nutritional value of a product with and without sugar is significantly different.
Sweet condensed milk has a calorie content of 328 kcal per 100 g, of which:
- Proteins - 7.2 g;
- Fat - 8.5 g;
- Carbohydrates - 55.5 g;
- Water - 54.44 g;
- Ash - 1.8 g.
Vitamins per 100 g:
- Vitamin A - 47 mcg;
- Retinol - 0.042 mg;
- Beta Carotene - 0.03 mg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.06 mg;
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.38 mg;
- Vitamin B4, choline - 30 mg;
- Vitamin B5, pantothenic acid - 0.8 mg;
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - 0.13 mg;
- Vitamin B12, cobalamin - 0.5 mcg;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - 1 mg;
- Vitamin D, calciferol - 0.05 μg;
- Vitamin E, alpha tocopherol - 0.2 mg;
- Vitamin H, biotin - 3.2 μg;
- Vitamin PP - 1.8 mg;
- Niacin - 0.2 mg
Macronutrients per 100 g:
- Potassium, K - 365 mg;
- Calcium, Ca - 307 mg;
- Magnesium, Mg - 34 mg;
- Sodium, Na - 130 mg;
- Sulfur, S - 70 mg;
- Phosphorus, P - 219 mg;
- Chlorine, Cl - 238 mg.
Microelements per 100 g:
- Iron, Fe - 0.2 mg;
- Iodine, I - 7 mcg;
- Cobalt, Co - 2 μg;
- Manganese, Mn - 0.007 mg;
- Copper, Cu - 30 μg;
- Selenium, Se - 3 μg;
- Fluorine, F - 35 μg;
- Zinc, Zn - 1 mg.
Digestible carbohydrates per 100 g:
- Mono- and disaccharides (sugars) - 55.5 g;
- Lactose - 12.5 g;
- Sucrose - 43.5 g.
Essential amino acids - 2.833 g per 100 g, dominated by:
- Valine - 0.453 g;
- Isoleucine - 0.418 g;
- Leucine - 0.538 g;
- Lysine - 0.54 g;
- Phenylalanine + Tyrosine - 0.66 g.
Essential amino acids - 4.512 g per 100 g, most of all:
- Glutamic - 1.591 g;
- Proline - 0.78 g.
Cholesterol in condensed milk per 100 g - 30 mg.
Fatty acids per 100 g:
- Omega-3 - 0.06 g;
- Omega-6 - 0.26 g;
- Saturated fatty acids - 5.2 g;
- Monounsaturated fatty acids - 2.58 g.
Polyunsaturated fatty acids per 100 g - 0.32 g:
- Linoleic acid - 0.18 g;
- Linolenic - 0.06 g;
- Arachidonic - 0.08 g.
The benefits and harms of condensed milk are determined by the complex of nutrients and significant nutritional value. The high content of calcium, potassium and phosphorus has a beneficial effect on the body, stabilizes the cardiovascular system, accelerates the conduction of nerve impulses and strengthens bone tissue. But with regular introduction into the diet, the weight increases, and a fatty layer can form not only under the skin, but also around the internal organs.
The calorie content of fresh condensed milk is 136 kcal per 100 g, of which:
- Proteins - 5.3 g;
- Fat - 8.7 g;
- Carbohydrates - 9 g.
The chemical composition of unsweetened condensed milk is not much different. The sugar content is 4.7 g / 100 g. Salt is used as a preservative, but there is little of it, the taste is practically not felt - 190 mg / 100 g.
Important! In order not to be disappointed in the taste of fresh condensed milk, after purchasing it is recommended to let it stand for at least a couple of hours in the refrigerator. After that, the consistency thickens, and the taste of salt disappears.
Useful properties of condensed milk
The product cannot be considered medicinal, but a positive effect on the human body has been officially proven.
The benefits of condensed milk
- Replenishes the supply of calcium, prevents the development of osteoporosis, improves the quality of bone and cartilage tissue.
- Helps to form the required muscle volume, accelerates mass gain. With this product, you can quickly get rid of dystrophy and anorexia.
- Replenishes energy after exhausting physical activity.
- Stabilizes the state of the nervous system, strengthens blood vessels.
- Stops the vital activity of the pathogenic flora of the intestine, stops the development of putrefactive processes.
- Improves the absorption of phosphorus and magnesium.
- Boosts immunity.
- It helps women during lactation to increase milk flow. In addition, the product produced by the mammary glands will be tastier.
- Improves mood. Sweets increase the production of the hormone of happiness - serotonin, and this helps to restore emotional stability and prevent the development of depression.
This product is most useful for men. Increases libido, restores potency.
The beneficial properties of condensed milk without sugar differ slightly. The product quickly restores the water-electrolyte and acid-base balance, allows you to feel full without adding weight. It can be entered into the diet for diabetes and pregnancy without restriction.
Contraindications and harm of condensed milk
The daily dose of condensed milk for pregnant women is no more than 2-3 tablespoons. If you overeat uncontrollably, you can quickly gain weight, which is undesirable in this state.
Harm from sweetened condensed milk:
- With unrestricted use, tooth decay occurs. Official studies have proven that the combination of milk protein and sugar creates ideal conditions for increasing the activity of pathogenic microorganisms that are constantly in the oral cavity.
- With diabetes mellitus and lactase deficiency. These diseases are absolute contraindications for entering the diet.
- With obesity. Promotes rapid weight gain.
- For young children. If introduced into the diet up to 1, 5 years, you can provoke the development of atopic diathesis.
- In case of dysfunction of the urinary system.
Contraindications to the use of condensed milk without sugar differ only slightly. It is also not recommended to give it to babies - in addition to salt, there may be other preservatives in a factory-made product that have a negative effect on the developing body.
Condensed milk recipes
The use of sweet condensed milk in cooking is limited to desserts and sauces. But unsweetened canned milk can replace the usual one in all recipes and dishes.
Condensed milk recipes:
- Zebra Pie … Butter, 150 g, is thoroughly ground with 100 g of sugar. Eggs, 3 pcs., Drive in one at a time, without ceasing to stir thoroughly. If you add all the egg mass at once, the future dough will stick together. Pour in 150 g of condensed milk, add a pinch of vanillin, baking powder - a flat teaspoon, a little less than a glass of flour. The structure of the dough should resemble thick cream or sour cream. Divide the batch into two parts, pour cocoa into one. The oven is heated to 180 ° C, the mold is heated, greased with sunflower oil. Now lay out the dough: one spoonful of white, one with cocoa, until the whole form is filled. Bake until the toothpick or match that pierced the cake comes out dry. Finished zebra can be filled with chocolate icing. It will be tastier if you add nuts to the chocolate dough, and raisins or zest to the white.
- Ice cream dessert … A glass of cream is whipped in a blender or whisk with half a glass of condensed milk to low peaks. Stir in chopped chocolate, 100 g, and a few strawberries, cut into pieces. Stir and spread over silicone cookie cutters. Put it in the freezer. The frozen dessert is poured with dark and white chocolate before serving.
- Sour cream dessert … Gelatin, 15 g, pour half a glass of boiled water and leave to swell. A pack of cookies is pounded into crumbs, mixed with crushed nuts of any kind, and laid out in a food grade plastic or silicone mold. Sour cream, not very fat, 0.5 kg, whipped with condensed milk, 100 g, can be boiled. Several strawberries are cut into pieces. Pour the biscuits with sour cream and press the berries on top. Put it in the freezer. After 3 hours, remove from the mold, sprinkle with grated chocolate before serving.
- Anthill Cake … Condensed milk, 2 cans, cook in advance. Melt half a pack of creamy margarine, mix with 4 tbsp. l. sour cream, drive in half a glass of sugar and 1-2 eggs, add flour. You need to get a dense dough. The batch is divided into several parts, wrapped in plastic wrap and put into the freezer. After 2 hours, preheat the oven to 180 ° C, spread parchment on a baking sheet, grease it with a thin layer of sunflower oil. Rub the dough in parts on a grater (you can use a meat grinder), distribute the crumbs in an even layer, bake for about 10 minutes, until browned. All the dough is ground into crumbs, baked, poured into a deep container. You can add crushed walnuts (about a glass) and stir. You can fix the anthill with boiled condensed milk or make a cream - mix milk with half a pack of butter and pour 4-5 tablespoons of brandy. It is undesirable to pour crumbs all at once. It is better to add the cream a little at a time. Spread the finished cake in the shape of an anthill, leave for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.
Unsweetened condensed milk can be used to make a dairy gravy. Dry in a pan 2, 5-3 tbsp. l. flour without waiting until it turns brown. Pour into a saucepan and add 100 g of condensed milk and 70 g of butter. Salted to taste, stir to avoid lumps. As soon as the contents of the pan become completely homogeneous, add another 300 g of milk, cook until thickened - about 5-8 minutes. When it cools a little, stir in chopped herbs and garlic. The sauce goes well with fish or meat dishes.
Interesting facts about condensed milk
Parisian wine merchant and pastry chef Nicolas François Apper began thinking about preparing long-term storage products at the end of the 18th century. The recipe for conservation was necessary primarily for the naval department - just at this time, Napoleon was hatching plans to conquer the world.
The first condensed milk was packaged in glass jars. Despite the lack of a sweetener, it was sweeter than regular milk and was in high demand. But the patent was obtained much later - in 1810 by the Englishman Peter Durand. He already suggested packaging in cans, and then he began to add sugar.
The product was improved by the American industrialist Borden, who invented boiled condensed milk. And so that the milk does not burn, the inner surface of the cans began to be greased.
In the USSR, condensed milk was first produced only for military needs, and only in 1952 a production line was opened at the Korenovsky plant. Then they began to sell it in stores, and getting at least a can was considered good luck. Consumers have learned to make boiled condensed milk at home by boiling a closed jar in boiling water.
There is another version of the origin of condensed milk - Spanish. But this is not so important - the main thing is that now you can buy a similar product in any store or make it yourself at home.
Having made condensed milk at home, you can be sure of the quality. Unfortunately, in recent years, manufacturers often add palm oil to the composition, do not withstand the required fat content of milk, and use low-quality sugar. In order not to be disappointed in the taste, you need to make sure that this is a real product - “whole condensed milk with sugar”. You should also focus on the price - from 48 rubles for a tin can. Condensed milk cannot be cheaper.
In Russia, the product is so popular that they even erected monuments to it. The first is in Rogachev, the second is in Surgut, and the third is in Yekaterinburg. Having visited these cities, you can take a picture with the attraction and try a truly high-quality product.
How to make condensed milk - watch the video: